Upcoming Webinars 


The analysis of any legal or medical billing is dependent on numerous specific facts — including the factual situations present related to the patients, the practice, the professionals and the medical services and advice. Additionally, laws and regulations and insurance and payer policies are subject to change. The information that has been accurate previously can be particularly dependent on changes in time or circumstances. The information contained in this web site is intended as general information only. It is not intended to serve as medical, health, legal or financial advice or as a substitute for professional advice of a medical coding professional, healthcare consultant, physician or medical professional, legal counsel, accountant or financial advisor. If you have a question about a specific matter, you should contact a professional advisor directly. CPT copyright American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.

Log in

Log in

Rhode Island SLP Continuing Education

How many continuing education hours are required during a reporting period?

Speech-Language Pathologists: SLPs licensed in Rhode Island must complete twenty (20) clock hours of continuing education every two (2) years.

Duel Licensees: Persons holding licensure in both speech language pathology and audiology must have completed and have evidence of completion of not less than thirty (30) clock hours of continuing education within the preceding two (2) years.

New Licensees: Speech language pathologist or audiologists initially licensed by examination after the July 1st renewal date shall be exempt from the continuing education requirements stated in this Part until the date of the next renewal cycle (i.e., June 30th of the second year following its issuance).

SLP Assistants: N/A

Due Date

June 30th, even years.

How is credit hour defined?


Can CE credits be carried over into the next reporting period?

Continuing education hours may not be carried over from one (1) renewal period to the next.

Are there any specific courses that must be taken?


What types of activities can be used for the continuing education requirements?


What type of courses or activities are not allowed?


What type of approval is needed for the courses?

Activities approved by the Board for continuing education credit are those sponsored by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA), the American Academy of Audiology (AAA), a state department of education, other International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET)-authorized providers, and/or continuing medical education units (CMEs) from the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). Approved activities may include conferences, seminars, self- study programs, courses, or workshops sponsored by the organizations noted above, or course work from an accredited institution.

What are the reporting requirements?


How long must continuing education records be retained?

Course descriptions, proof of attendance, or other documentation of completion shall be retained by the licensee for a minimum of four (4) years and is subject to random audit by the Department.


The Board, at its discretion, may extend, reduce, or waive for a person the requirement for continuing education for hardship or other extenuating circumstances as the Board deems appropriate.





Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software