Upcoming Webinars 


The analysis of any legal or medical billing is dependent on numerous specific facts — including the factual situations present related to the patients, the practice, the professionals and the medical services and advice. Additionally, laws and regulations and insurance and payer policies are subject to change. The information that has been accurate previously can be particularly dependent on changes in time or circumstances. The information contained in this web site is intended as general information only. It is not intended to serve as medical, health, legal or financial advice or as a substitute for professional advice of a medical coding professional, healthcare consultant, physician or medical professional, legal counsel, accountant or financial advisor. If you have a question about a specific matter, you should contact a professional advisor directly. CPT copyright American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.

Log in

Log in

Texas Occupational Therapy Identification and Notification

What is the required designation for occupational therapists?

A licensed occupational therapist shall use the title occupational therapist or the initials OT. OTR® is an alternate term for OT if an individual who is licensed by this board takes the responsibility for ensuring that he or she is qualified to use it by maintaining certification through NBCOT.

Use of “Dr.”

An occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant may not use the abbreviation "Dr.," the word "Doctor," or any suffix or affix indicating or implying that the person is a physician.

Except when practicing as an occupational therapy practitioner in a higher education setting or when signing as an author for a publication, and that publication requires a recognized publication format, any letters designating other titles, academic degrees, or certifications must follow the initials OT or OTA (example John Doe, OT, CHT or Jane Doe, OTR, PhD).

Are there any specific requirements for posting notifications or licenses?

The original license must be prominently displayed in the licensee's principal place of business as designated by the licensee. Reproduction of the original license is only authorized for institutional file purposes and not for public display.

When do you need to notify the board when you change your information?

A licensee or applicant shall notify the Board in writing of changes in name, residential address, business address, mailing address, email address, and/or supervisor within thirty (30) days of such change(s).

Applicants and temporary licensees shall notify the Board in writing of changes of supervisor within 30 days of such change(s).

A copy of the legal document (such as a marriage license, court decree, or divorce decree) evidencing a change in name must be submitted by the licensee or applicant with any written notification of a change in name.


Tex. Occ. Code §454.007

Tex. Occ. Code §454.214

3 Tex. Admin. Code §369.2

3 Tex. Admin. Code §369.3

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software