Upcoming Webinars 


The analysis of any legal or medical billing is dependent on numerous specific facts — including the factual situations present related to the patients, the practice, the professionals and the medical services and advice. Additionally, laws and regulations and insurance and payer policies are subject to change. The information that has been accurate previously can be particularly dependent on changes in time or circumstances. The information contained in this web site is intended as general information only. It is not intended to serve as medical, health, legal or financial advice or as a substitute for professional advice of a medical coding professional, healthcare consultant, physician or medical professional, legal counsel, accountant or financial advisor. If you have a question about a specific matter, you should contact a professional advisor directly. CPT copyright American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.

Log in

Log in

Ohio Out-of-State Therapists

Can I practice in state if I am licensed in another state?

Athletic Programs

Nothing shall prevent or restrict the activities or services of any person who holds a current, unrestricted license to practice physical therapy in another state when that person, pursuant to contract or employment with an athletic team located in the state in which the person holds the license, provides physical therapy to any of the following while the team is traveling to or from or participating in a sporting event in this state:

    • A member of the athletic team;
    • A member of the athletic team's coaching, communications, equipment, or sports medicine staff;
    • A member of a band or cheerleading squad accompanying the athletic team;
    • The athletic team's mascot.

In providing physical therapy the person shall not do either of the following:

    • Provide physical therapy at a health care facility;
    • Provide physical therapy for more than sixty (60) days in a calendar year.

What is the process for getting reciprocity in Ohio?

The physical therapy section may issue a license by endorsement to an applicant who is currently licensed as a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant under the laws of another state, provided the requirements for registration or licensure under the appropriate category in that state, including minimal education and passing score on the national physical therapy examination (NPTE) were reasonably equal to the requirements in force in this state on the date of the applicant's initial licensure in the other state.

An applicant who has been out of the practice of physical therapy for a period of five or more years shall:

    • Retake and pass the NPTE; or
    • Complete the general practice practice review tool and submit an action plan based on the results of the practice review tool for any knowledge areas and/or systems where the applicant is identified as needing improvement. The action plan must be approved by the physical therapy section.

Out of practice is defined as being actively engaged in the practice of physical therapy for fewer than five (500) hundred hours over the five (5) year period prior to the date the applicant submits the endorsement application.


Ohio Rev. Code § 4755.48

Ohio Admin. Code § 4755-23-04

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software